Potato Salad Plus!
My home state is Hawaii and a scoop of potato salad is offered with every plate lunch, bento or picnic we eat. But, the Hawaiian style mayo/salt/pepper potato mac is not a dish that makes my mouth sing. Thank goodness my mother makes a “family famous” version that everyone raves about. I’ve veganized her recipe and added some of my own flair, this one’s a winner!
The secret ingredients are Colman’s mustard and the Vegg. I use the Colman’s mustard because it does not have any vinegar in it and I am a fan of the distinct kick it gives to the dressing. The Vegg makes the dressing thick and creamy and adds another level of savory flavor. The veggies add texture and a brightness to both the appearance and the taste of this potato salad.
Potato Salad plus! by Veggietorials
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook
Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (12 servings)
■6-8 large russet potatoes, skin on
■1 cup chopped celery or water chestnuts
■1/4 cup chopped red onion
■1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
■1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers
■3 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped The Dressing
■1/2 cup Vegenaise ( add more to taste)
■1/2 cup prepared Vegg
■1 tablespoon Colman’s mustard
■3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
■1 teaspoon celery salt
■1 tablespoon dill
■2 tablespoons citrus garlic seasoning blend ( or something similar to Old Bay)
■salt & pepper
- Boil the potatoes with the skin on until easily pierced with a fork ( about 30-40 minutes).
- Remove from heat, drain and cool potatoes.
- Peel off skins and cut into bite sized cubes.
- Add to a large bowl with all of the veggie ingredients.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing. You may want to use more of the Vegg mixture for a creamier taste.
- Adjust seasonings and add salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes and veggies.
- Mix until potatoes are well coated.
- Garnish with heirloom grape tomatoes, spicy pickled green beans or vegan bacon bits.
- Left overs can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.